- Avalon History Center
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
Digital Collections Coordinator
Avalon Free Public Library and History Center
As part of the Avalon Free Public Library and History Center’s strategic initiative to build and sustain an accessible digital collection, we seek a dynamic individual to serve as the newly created Digital Collections Coordinator. This position with the Avalon History Center will be responsible for the implementation and stewardship of AHC’s digitization efforts, to work with Library and History Center staff to expand the digital outreach of the museum collections, and develop an infrastructure that will establish a model for online exhibition and digital collections for local history museums.
The successful candidate will ideally have a background in museum studies or information science, with experience managing digital collections. They must have familiarity with current and emerging technologies related to digital asset management, access, and exhibition. They should also demonstrate a record of success in presenting to and educating the public and colleagues via programs, training, and outreach.
The Digital Collections Coordinator will report to the Director of the Avalon Free Public Library and History Center, and work closely with their lateral colleague, the History Center Curator. As the Coordinator will lead the implementation of a new initiative, we hope to attract an individual with the vision to understand the importance of a rich digital collection for a cultural heritage institution. This is a unique opportunity to shape the future of digital initiatives at the Avalon History Center.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in history, information science, or related field. (Master’s degree, preferred.)
- A minimum of 2 years of progressive work and experience in a library, archive or museum. Demonstrated success in the development and management of digital collections, preferred. (May substitute an advanced degree in a related field in lieu of experience.)
- Experience with library, archive, and museum collection management systems, such as Innovative Millennium/Sierra and PastPerfect.
- Familiarity with the Google Cultural Institute/Google Arts and Culture platform, or comparable online exhibition tool.
- Possess working knowledge of software systems related to library digital imaging, management, and access. Experience and technical proficiency with one or more open-source systems (such as Archivists’ Toolkit, Archivematica, or MetaArchive), preferred.
- Demonstrated project management experience and ability to manage multiple concurrent projects.
- Experience leading public programs and educating the public and colleagues in both small and large group settings.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Anticipated spring 2020 start date. Background check required for selected candidate.
To apply, submit a completed application form, cover letter, resume, and salary requirements by attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Search Committee, Avalon Free Public Library, 235 32nd Street, Avalon, NJ 08202.
Application Deadline: 5pm, Friday, February 28, 2020
Click here for job application Follow directions at top of application to download, fill, save and submit.
The library does not accept unsolicited resumes. All resumes and associated documents related to a specific employment opportunity at the library are retained for 3 years in compliance with New Jersey State retention requirements. Past application packages are not necessarily considered for subsequent employment opportunities.